Russian Orthodox Church in Singapore December 20, 2019
On the 20th of December, in the Ministry of Culture of the Kingdom of Thailand, the Patriarchal Exarch of Southeast Asia, Metropolitan of Singapore and Southeast Asia Sergiy had a meeting with the Deputy Minister of Culture, Kriangsak Bunpasit.
During the meeting, they discussed the state of affairs in the parishes belonging to the Thailand eparchy of the Russian Orthodox Church. They also discussed the further development of bilateral relations between the Government of Thailand and the Russian Orthodox Church. The Patriarchal Exarch emphasized the importance of the missionary service in the Southeast Asian region and shared about the new challenges arising due to the growing number of parishes and their clergy and parishioners. Thai people used to be unfamiliar with Orthodox faith; however, over the 20 years of its presence in Thailand, the Russian Church has demonstrated its beauty and openness and therefore, became the house of prayer not only for numerous Russian compatriots, but also for many local Thais.
After the discussion, the Deputy Minister expressed his gratitude to the Russian Orthodox Church for its social and spiritual service for the benefit of people of Thailand. He also expressed his readiness to assist in creating a working group to resolve church issues in the diocese of Thailand.
The following officials from the Ministry of Culture also participated in the meeting:
– Kitiphan Phansuvan, Director General of the Department of Religious Affairs;
– heads of the departments of the Ministry of Culture.
The following representatives of the Patriarchal Exarchate of Southeast Asia also participated in the meeting:
– Archbishop Feofan, Head of the Eparchy of Korea;
– Archimandrite Oleg (Cherepanin), Secretary of the Eparchy of Thailand;
– Stepan Nugzarievich Golovin, Counsellor of the Russian Embassy in Thailand;
– Hieromonk Pitirim (Dondenko), Secretary of the Patriarchal Exarchate of Southeast Asia;
– Archpriest Daniel Vanna, Chairman of the Committee of the Orthodox Church Foundation in Thailand;
– Priest Ioann Moroz, Head of the Office of the Eparchy of Thailand.